Mahendra Singh Dhoni is a famous Indian Cricketer. He is the former Indian captain who has achieved almost everything with his brilliant Captaincy. He is one of the best cricketer in the world. However, he captained the team only in limited-overs format from 2007 to 2016, and in Test cricket from 2008 to 2014. He is also known for his excellent wicket-keeping skills and finishing styles and is a gem to the Indian team even in some very hard situations.
He made his debut in One Day International (ODI) in December 2004, playing against Bangladesh. A year later, he debuted in test cricket against Sri Lanka. He is known by some as one of the best wicket-keepers in modern limited-overs international cricket.
On 30 Sep, 2016 his biopic “M.S Dhoni The Untold story “ Was released. It was about his childhood, struggles , achievements and everything about him. Sushant Singh Rajput played the role of MS Dhoni in that movie where he impressed all the people around the world.
MS Dhoni’s Personal Information.
- Name : Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- D. O. B : 7 July, 1981
- Place of birth : Ranchi, Bihar
- Age : 39 years
- Height : 5 Foot 9 inches
- Weight : 70 Kg
- Top Score :
- Test : 224
- ODI : 183*
- T20 : 56
- Jersey Number : 7 (In all formats)
- Nationality : Indian
- Religion : Hinduism
- parents :
- Father : Pan Singh Dhoni
- Mother : Devaki Devi
- Siblings :
- Brother : Narendra Singh Dhoni
- Sister : Jayanti Gupta
- Wife : Sakshi Singh Dhoni
- Daughter : Ziva Singh Dhoni
- IPL : Chennai Super Kings
- Zodiac Sign : Cancer
MS Dhoni’s Childhood And Background.
He was born in a middle class family on 7 June 1981 in Ranchi, Bihar ( now presently in Jharkhand ). His Parents moved from Uttrakhand to Ranchi where his father worked in junior management position in MECON. His parents and friends call him “Mahi”.
As a young boy, Dhoni was a big fan of Australian Cricketer , Adam Gilchrist. His childhood idol was Sachin Tendulkar and had a big poster of him hanging on the wall. He also admired John Abraham and used to copy his hair style with long hairs.
Dhoni studied at DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir, Shyamali, Ranchi, Jharkhand. Before cricket, he used to play football in his school and was a goalkeeper for his football team . His football coach (Keshav Ranjan Banerjee) sent him to play cricket for a local cricket club. Though he had not played cricket, still he was able to impress his coach with his wicket-keeping skills and became the regular wicketkeeper at the Commando cricket club (1995–1998). Based on his good performance at club cricket, he was picked for the 1997/98 season Vinoo Mankad Trophy Under-16 Championship and he performed well. He focused on cricket after his 10th Class and worked as a ticket collector at the Kharagpur Railway Station .
Struggle of MS Dhoni.
While working as a ticket collector, he was very worried about his career as he was not getting enough opportunities to show his talent for cricket. He had to manage both his job and cricket practice. He left his job and came back to his home (Ranchi) to focus only on cricket.
Dhoni was doing his best for his selection but he did not get selected easily. He was rejected by many selectors. But one day he got selected in India A team where he impressed the selectors with his innings.
After that he got selected in Indian cricket team. His ODI debut was not good as he got run out for a duck. The upcoming matches were also not very good for him but still he was able to make his name in the team.
After taking up the Test captaincy in 2008, he led the team to series wins in New Zealand and the West Indies, and the Border-Gavaskar Trophy in 2008, 2010 and 2013. In 2009, Dhoni also led the Indian team to number one position for the first time in the ICC Test rankings.
MS Dhoni Marriage.
Ms Dhoni and Sakshi were dating almost for 2 years.Sakshi was from Uttrakhand . On 4July,2010 he got married to Sakshi. No one know Sakshi at that time . On 6 Feb, 2015 Sakshi gave birth to a baby girl. Sakshi wanted to share this good news to him but his phone wasn’t available. Then, somehow Dhoni got this good news. When asked about it in an interview that why didn’t he go to see his daughter, he replied, ” I am on a national Duty, so I think everything else can wait. “
MS Dhoni’s Achievements as an Indian Captain.
Let us know about the main achievements of MS Dhoni :
2007 T20 world Cup :
It was the first T20 world cup for Dhoni not only as a player but also as a captain. By winning this world Cup, he becomes the first Indian captain to win his maiden world Cup.
2011 ODI World Cup :
It was MS Dhoni’s 2nd ODI World cup and by winning this title he becomes the first and only Indian Captain to win both T20 and ODI World Cup. The final match was between Ind vs SL and in this match Dhoni finished the match off in style by hitting a memorable six. He also got the Man of the Match trophy for his outstanding knockknock of 91 not out.
2013 Champions Trophy :
The final match was to be played between IND vs ENG. The Indian bowlers did an outstanding job with the captiancy of MS Dhoni by defending the low target of just 130 runs. By winning this title he becomes the one and only captain to win all the ICC trophies.
IPL Achievements Of MS Dhoni.
Ms Dhoni is the only Captain for CSK to led the team in all seasons. The fact is that he has captained his bowling coach , batting Coach and also Head Coach. He is the only Captain in IPL to win more than 100 matches.
- 2010 IPL Win :
On 2010 , He become the first CSK Captain to win his Maiden IPL trophy with a 22 run over win over Sachin Tendulkar’s Mumbai Indians.
- 2010 CLT20 Win :
Also, in the same year he also lift the trophy in Champions League T20 and again become the first Captain to win the IPL and CLT20 in the same year.
- 2011 IPL Win :
In 2011, CSK won their 2nd IPL trophy and With this win Dhoni becomes the first IPL Captain to Win the IPL trophy for two consecutive years.
- 2014 CLT20 Win :
In 2014 , CSK won their 2nd CLT20 trophy and becomes the first team to win this title two times.
- 2018 IPL Win :
In 2018, CSK won their 3rd IPL trophy. This was the great comeback by Dhoni’s team by getting banned for two years. CSK was also called as DAD’s ARMY.
MS Dhoni’s Bikes and Cars Collection.
That was the time when Dhoni used to borrow Bike from his friends . But now Dhoni has now more than 50 bikes in his yard. This shows his craze and passion for bikes.
MS Dhoni: Cricket Records
- In 2009, under Dhoni’s captaincy, India topped the ICC Test Cricket rankings for the first time.
- He is the most celebrated Indian Test Captain with 27 Test wins.
- Dhoni has 15 overseas Test defeats, the most by an Indian captain.
- He became the first Indian wicket-keeper to complete 4,000 Test runs.
- Dhoni scored 224 against Australia. This is the highest score by a wicket-keeper–captain and third-highest score by an Indian Captain.
- His maiden century against Pakistan is the fastest century to date scored by an Indian wicket-keeper and fourth overall.
- With 294 dismissals in his entire career, he tops the list in all-time dismissals list by Indian wicket-keepers.
- He shares a record with most dismissals in an innings– 6 with Syed Kirmani.
- He also has a record of 9 dismissals in a match by an Indian wicket-keeper.
- Third and First Indian Captain to win 100 games.
- Fourth Indian Cricketer to reach 10,000 ODI runs after Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly & Rahul Dravid. He is also the second wicket-keeper to reach this milestone.
- With a career average of over 50, he is the first player to achieve 10,000 runs.
- Among cricketers with more than 5,000 runs, he has the 5th highest batting average and the 2nd highest batting average among players with an aggregate of over 10,000 runs– 51.09.
- With 4031 runs in his entire career, he scores most runs in ODI history at number 6.
- While batting at number 7, only cricketer to score centuries in ODI history– 2 centuries at number 7.
- He has 82 Not Outs in ODIs.
- He scored 183* against Sri Lanka– the highest score by a wicket-keeper.
Some more records in Odi cricket.
- Dhoni scored 113 against Pakistan– highest by a captain batting at number 7.
- India’s highest eight-wicket partnership in ODI between Dhoni and Bhuvneshwar Kumar.
- Most unbeaten innings and the highest average among batsmen in ODI run-chases.
- He is the only cricketer to have played most ODI matches as a captain and wicket-keeper.
- He holds the record for most dismissals in an innings and career by an Indian wicket-keeper– 6 and 432 respectively.
- Dhoni has a record of doing most stumpings by a wicket-keeper in ODI history– 120.
- First Indian and Fourth wicket-keeper in the world to take 300 ODI catches.
- Dhoni holds the record of most wins as a Captain– 41.
- He played most matches as a captain and wicket-keeper– 72.
- Dhoni played most consecutive T20 innings without a duck– 84.
- He played the most T20 innings ( 76 ) .
- He holds the record of most dismissals as wicket-keeper in T20Is– 87.
- Dhoni holds the record of most catches (54) by a wicket-keeper in T20 . He holds the record of most stumping as a wicket-keeper in T20 (33).
- He holds the record of most catches as wicketkeeper in a T20 innings (5).
- He holds the record of playing most International matches as a Captain– 332.
- He is the first and only wicket-keeper to date to effect 150 stumping dismissals across the three forms of the game– 161.
MS Dhoni Awards List.
- In 2018, he received India’s third-highest civilian award– Padma Bhushan.
- In 2009, he received India’s fourth-highest civilian award– Padma Shri.
- For 2007-2008, he received India’s highest honour given for achievement in sports– Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna.
- In 2008, 2009, he was awarded the ICC ODI Player of the Year.
- In 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014; he was awarded the ICC World ODI XI.
- In 2009, 2010 and 2013; he was awarded the ICC World Test XI.
- He was awarded Castrol Indian Cricketer of the Year in 2011.
- In 2006, he was titled as the MTV Youth Icon of the Year.
- He received the LG People’s Choice Award in 2013.
- In August 2011, he received an honorary doctorate by De Montfort University.
MS Dhoni may have given up his captaincy but his list of awards and records are still reaching heights with each passing day. From his unforgettable captaincy records and mind-blowing stellar knocks there are many things that make us look upon him in each game.